NIL Legal Questions
Joshua M. Frieser, is a sports and business lawyer and Principal Attorney at Frieser Legal. His practice is focused on the representation of athletes, agents, entrepreneurs, start-ups, and small businesses.
While working to solve the unique legal needs that they have, Josh represents athletes in internal disciplinary proceedings and NIL licensing agreements, as well as in related intellectual property and business planning matters. In addition to serving as counsel to college and professional athletes and agents, Josh represents sports industry start-ups and small businesses as primary outside counsel.
In this episode:
- How Josh got into the sports business
- Common questions from athletes related to NIL
- NIL representation rules in different states
- Why it's important to work with a registered marking agent in your state
- Why athletes need to know their college’s uniform and logo use policy
- Branded apparel and equipment for college and professional athletes
- Questions about NIL activities during competition
- NIL deals, partnerships, contracts and post-game press conferences
- The future of name, image and likeness for high school and college athletes, including uniform legislation
- What the NCAA hiring Charlie Baker as President means for the future of NIL and legislation
- What high school athletes need to know about NIL